October 13, 2006

when raya pokes you in the eye

Company's Buka Puasa At KLCC Convention Center
Apparently its an anual company thing. The holding would have this super grand buka puasa ceremony inviting all the Datuks and Datins and Tan Sris and anak yatim and the staff's family member. Big shinding. Tun Mahatdir couldnt make it this year (no shit) but usually he'd make an appearance. I was persuaded by a comittee member colleague to help out with ushering people since I'm not married and going to the party stag (sure, rub it in, why dont ya)

I fell in love with the super cute kids from the homes we invited. About 6 homes were invited and there was around 400 of them. Age range from 5 to 17. And the little ones were sooOOooo cute. I ended up spending the whole night with them and my table members ended up not seeing me at all the whole night. I fetched ice creams, wiped mouths, helped cut chickens, talked about school with the older ones, talked about the merits of break fasting at hotels with the teachers, pulled chairs, pushed chairs, cut more food, fetched more ice creams, showed them the seating arrangement diagram all the AJKs have (the diagram has pretty colors on it), explained about my bosses, fixed crooked tudungs and songkok, helped get the too-high-to-reach fruits, wiped snot, talked about the grossness of boys with form 2 girls, talked about UPSR, headed delegations to the toilet, learnt names, kissed goodbye more chubby cheeks i could count, hugged more small bodies than ever, wished everyone selamat hari raya and had the single, most rewarding night in my life.

My heart broke when 5-years old Atikah tugged my sleeve and whispered the question "Akak, akak dah ade anak?" No. "Akak nak tak anak?"

I went home at 10, with blisters on my sole the size and shape of Northen Ireland (who woulda guessed, wearing 3 inch stilletoes while running after energetic, young kids is not really wise?)

I manage to meet and (briefly) greet only 7 of the 26 Very Important Clients and Connection my company invited. As a marketing personnel, I'm a disgrace.

Woke up this morning feeling quite invisible. Nailed my presentation (the amout of self confidence was ridiculous, no one has any question to ask afterwards, I think I scared them), 2 of the homes called our company and thanked our liason officer with a special mention to thank me, by name. And my CFO took me in for a research on a new project. Got my raya bonus (as puny as it is).

I think I grew up a bit last night.

Now I'm off to scream at my own brother.


In The Spirit of Raya
This would be the first raya to I'm supposed to hand out the green packets, since I'm already working and all. I have made up a list of eligible receipients and sure as hell, it's quite long. I have mandated that I'm only giving to underage, primary schoolers cousins and children to cousins. The first group (which is quite small since my mom is the youngest of her family and my dad married quite late) would received from their beloved Kak Ila the grand amount of RM5.00! Booyah. The second group would prolly get from their Kak Ila (I'd kill anyone who'd call me Mak Ila or Mak We or Mak-anything. Cold blood murder them) RM2.00 cause there's like, 3000 of them. My cousins, they breed like rabbits!
Else, it'd depend on how much their mom or dad used to give me when I was younger. Heh.

I'm also starting my raya mailing list. The companys card is really pretty and I can definitely afford stamp costs. So, if you want me to send you one, mail me your add.

Kum and Atie, I do overseas mailing too.

In the DisSpirit of Raya
I have the whole raya week off. No idea what I'm gonna do with it. Not really looking forward to Eid. I stopped being happy eversince I was too old to get duit raya and old enough to be stuck in the kitchen cooking and cleaning and cooking and cleaning for the hordes of people who'd come to the house. None of them being my guests. Dispite the claim my mom would (annually) make about how she'd never have an open house event thingy. Because instead, she'd have several open house events thingies. And I'd be helping with the cooking and cleaning and cooking and cleaning and cooking and cleaning. It sucks to be me during raya. It really does.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

how bout this year you make an open house for YOUR guests...i'll consider myself invited..

disputed lamb said...

more cleaning and cooking and cleaning and cooking..

whats ur point, fred?

ultimatecass said...

atikahs are cute little beings i must say *pffbbtt* i dont look fwd to eid too ever since i first heard "oh dah besar tak payah duit raya la ya?" screw that. we need more money as we grow older. email me abt the stuff u wanna get online. id totally help u out. ultimatecass@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

at least it's YOUR guest, and I get to EAT. what's better than that....