May 23, 2008

Catching up on life

My first real job (Starbucks barista doesn't count), I basically did nothing for 2 whole years. They hired me, gave me a laptop, a cubicle and a fancy title. I was the Business Development Executive. I had nothing to do. No sales target, no portfolios, no performance report. Nada. But they paid my salary, gave me a brand new laptop when the old one went bust, gave me the usual bonuses, the works. Except they didn't. They forgot to give me something to do. And I was happy, as you can rightly imagine. I did some typing and research work for my boss, threw in some opinions and lame ideas for the business expansion plan, that was about it. Sometime I helped some other colleagues with their work. Mostly my time there was filled with downloading numerous movies and t.v shows, net browsing, reading thousands upon thousands eBooks (downloaded illegally) and quietly not being too obvious that I'm doing nothing.
But even from the start I know I had to get out of that place. As ideal as the situation seemed, I realized I was wasting the peak years of my work career doing nothing. I realized I wasn't growing, in fact I was veloping myself (the opposite of developing). I whined about it all the time. Really, I did. Go ahead. Ask anyone. And I also knew that the sweet deal (get paid doing nothing) can't possibly last. One day the management might wise up and I prefer to be long gone before that. It might not be anytime soon, but you never know.
So I left that job for this one. And oh boy, when it rains, it pours. Work. Is. Crazy. To top it all off, the heavens was kind enough to bestow upon me the gift of a hobbit Nazi boss with a Napoleon complex. Oh joy. And so the whining continues. Go ahead. Ask anyone. Hoho.
But as one friend candidly (with zero trace of sarcasm) stated when I was in the midst of my work lament, "So, you're having fun la eh? I can tell you're having fun,"; and I guess I am having a tiny, weeny, itsy, bitty, puny, tad, wee, bit of fun juggling the work load meant for 4 pack mules. No, seriously. Because, and I mean this, it's good to feel needed, to be necessary. And because it's nice to know you're earning your pay. It's fun to feel the rush chasing that impossible deadline. It's great to make calls for other reason than to tell mom I'm having dinner out. It's awesome to sign on that dotted line in some important letter my staff made (which I had them redo 3 times, I was being nice, ok?). It's wonderful to speak up in a meeting about something. It's down right near orgasmic running the last spell check on that report I laboriously been working since 9am and submitting it to the boss. It's fucking fantabulous knowing the decisions I make would mean something to the ministry. Power rocks. So hell yeah, I'm having fun. Surprised? As was I.

Just don't tell anyone.
And they need to pay my salary already. Seriously. I'm fudging broke and I don't do poverty very well. What the hell is taking them so long? Retards running the ministry, I tell you.
(There, I ended this post with a whine, balance is restored)

1 comment:

Afzan said...

ooh oh.. sgt tabah neila.. teruskan..