October 16, 2008

What's Normal for Me..

Warning: this is one long ass post.

Okay, I realized the previous post shows too much of my Raya Grinch-ness. To be fair, my Raya wasn't so bad. Pretending that you want to know (and since I have the whole Eid picture folder on me right now), I shall regale you with my exploits during the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Raya, in parts. Brace yourself (for lameness-esque).

Day Uno

Raya Pertama di rumah bonda,
Rumah bonda di ibu kota,
Nak buat camne, saya memang tinggal di sana,
Nak balik kampung, ramai dah mati pula.

After slaving away the day before Raya to get the house ready (which deserves a whole different post), we woke up early and had our teary, emotional bersalamsalaman session before we went to pray at the Masjid Belakang Bukit together(bukan nama di sign board). As usual, I would be sleep deprived and would maintain my shameful tradition of sleeping through the 2 khutbahs.

Home, breakfast and the annual first visit from our neighbour, Uncle Lan and his whole brood. We would be the only 2 Malay families left in whole Lorong during Raya time. Soon after they left, we were decended by my dad's sister and his family. More food being served, more dishes to do. Sorry, just have to put that in.

Then our two families left for my dad's uncle's house. This was where I got my only duit Raya. Yay dad's uncle!

Again, our two families moved to Kajang to visit my dad's other sister's house (he has 8 of them, don't ask). Since this sister also married my mom's brother (confusing you?), us cousins are pretty close.

After which, my family (ditched the first aunt's family) and left with this new aunt's family to go to my mom's brother's house which is also in Kajang.

Later we maintained formation and went on to visit my dad's other sister's house in Sepang. This is where we regrouped with the first aunt on top of my dad's other sister. Basically, Sepang was over flowing with my dad's sisters. If you were keeping tabs (and you should), there've been 4 aunts altogether. In one Raya day.

So, what do you do at relatives houses when you come visit the during first day of Raya?

You eat. My dad sleeps.
Nom. Nom. Nom.

Snore.

You take and pose for loads and loads and loads and loads of pictures.
See that behemoth of a man on the left? Behind him, totally eclisped by his girth, is my brother and a cousin. Damn, you're huge Abah.

Dammit, people. We should be able to get this right already.

You eat somemore.
Nom. Nom. Nom.

You take more goofy, unnecessary pictures.
Themed photo.
Left to right: I'm confused, I want to play with the big cousins, I overact, I'm boring, I'm actually posing.


You be merry.
What's so funny, Maksu? We are. Yes, we are. We are hilarious.
Everybody: 'Yes, we are, aren't we?'
Hilarity ensued.


Of course, there's the bersalaman and bermaafan.
100% posed.

Best looking cousin couldn't pass up a photo op. He's cute though, right?
He's 15, you perverts. Sheesh.

Day one of Raya for me ended at 1.04 am. It wasn't all torture, I have to admit.


No comments: