January 11, 2008

Star Light, Star Bright

Isn't this movie just simply gorgeous? I heart Gaiman to the power of infinity(I love his American Gods and Good Omen) but I haven't read Stardust yet. I was going to, then the movie came out and I still haven't read it. Anyways..
Watched the movie, loved it and am all over it.
Brings back memories of watching the Princess Bride (my sister's all-time favorite movie) speaking of which, is probably one of the more funny movie ever made, methinks. It was ages ago when I last saw it but I still remember the movie (Princess Bride) is hilarious. Great movie, that. Classic, even. Oh Westley..
Back to Stardust. I know Gaiman wrote the book and Jonathan Ross (Jowaton Woss)'s wife co-wrote the screenplay. I didn't watch it when it came out in the cinema because..I don't know why. But I didn't and I'm sorry for that (but thank God for p2p! Yeah, I am cheap. Don't judge).
So I watched it last night and I absofarkinglutely love it.
Claire Danes was delightful, most of the time she doesn't look her 53 age at all. Snort. Tristan was a welcome fresh face (nothing worse than to have some assembly line Hollywood play him. So that's a disaster well dodged) and Pfeiffer (spelling?) was good, as usual. (Although her hag-act have nothing on what I imagine Granny Weatherwax's could be. But then you'd would call me too exacting.) The Mister Al Pacino was tad disappointing, I felt. He fell into the well-oiled trap of stereotyping the whoopsies, as they put it. He overacted a little (sacrilege!)and went for the generic ensemble of a flamboyant fruit. He was basically a flaming pineapple on a purple unicorn. But still great altogether. Ricky Gervais was a wonderful surprise as was Peter O Toole and Rupert Everett, however brief their screen time was. And I discovered the delicious actor who played young Dunstan Thorn (Ben Barnes) who is also going to be Prince Caspian. Yay. And I never imagine I would see the day that I could watch Sienna Miller and not hurl myself sick. Who woulda thunk.
I love the beautiful locations, resplendent costumes, witty banters and the overall great directions this movie has. The special effects were seamless and the editing flawless. The characters were very believable which is a big challenge for a fantasy novel adapted movie. And despite the predictable storyline, Stardust really commandeered respect by showcasing Gaiman's masterful, ingenious and fanciful albeit dark storytelling style.
My favorite part of the movie was the seven ghostly apparitions of Stormhold's former princes. Sheer comic.
So, great movie, yeah. It's definitely going to be on my Best Movies of All Time list. And I'm also going to go excavate our Princess Bride VHS tape, unearth the video player from the bowels of Unused Applicants that is 4 miles under the Mariana trench and watch that movie again.
Or, I could always p2p it. Oh, the joy technology brings.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

oit...I updated...go spam it