January 21, 2008

Waiting for My Godot

My life, lately has been ridiculously lame. I wake up, drive to work, eat lunch, drive back from work, have dinner with the family and go to bed. Repeat ad tedium. Sometime, if I think I can stand the excitement, I play Scrabble, Monopoly or Boggle. Mostly Scrabble with myself. Nothing else. Just sheer repetition one long day after another. It's driving me nuts.
It's been almost 3 months since I've been anywhere (Taiping) and 6 months (SIX!!) since my last overseas trip. It's almost unnatural. We Shuhaimes aren't meant to stay in one place for so long. It's genetically coded for us to ever so often grab our passport and a suitcase (or in my case, a backpack) and just head off into the sunset wherever the wind might take us.
When flipping through the channel last night I came across an ancient Craig David video clip on a beach and the overwhelming urge to just drive to the nearest beach was terrifying. And I don't even like Craig David. I'm a fairly impulsive being and at that moment I just felt I missed the beach so much and also I'm maddeningly bored of being stationary, I was so damn close to grabbing my car keys and going off at 3 am to Port Dickson. But apparently I still had some resemblance of self control. That and because the gate keys were with Dad.
I need to get out of this place. The thing is, I'm farking broke (January 2008 is stupid expensive and it just wont end). I'm just afraid one day I get into the car and the next thing you know I've driven all the way to Hanoi without me realizing it. And smeared all over my hood are pieces of rainforest trees, a monk, two buffalo, a straw purse, landmines and whats left of a Thai cooking oil smuggler. Which is not possible, of course but all the same, worrying. Worrying because I just might snap and do something as stupid. Not possible because Dad keeps my passport with the gate keys.
Right now, excitement is like Godot. I am waiting for him but he's not coming.

1 comment:

ultimatecass said...

ur passport is with ur dad!?!? oh man, bummer! time to stand up for ur rights missy! i miss the beach too. hot sandy beaches. terribly. 4 more months babes, 4 more months! then the beach is just 2 hours away at the very least. oh pure joy! *chair-dancing*